Once I had my two pieces that I intended to sandwich together, I drilled pilot holes. I only have a handful of clamps so I would need to use another method. Chris Schwarz showed a method of drilling and using screws as 'clamps'.
When the glue dried and everything was solid, I removed all of the screws and there I had it- my slab! I bought some 1X4 maple boards to glue on as a skirt and make it look like one solid butcher block.
The legs ended up being a slightly different story. I was having a terribly difficult time finding anything that would work out for legs. Finally I ended up at the BORG store and special ordered a 12ft 6X6 untreated pine beam. It's going to work out OK, but not ideal. It's the exact heart of the tree so I have concerns about it's stability.
I got the beam cut into my 4 legs and it's in the basement drying out a bit more now. It was definitely still green. Up next of my list will be to cut the mortise and tenons for the legs and get it all assembled so I can attach the hardware and start to use it!
I've also got two projects for customers that I just signed today so I need to get rolling. The workbench will be on hold until I can get those cranked out. I hope to get them out the door by Christmas. This week has brought me a lot of positive luck. I began advertising my woodworking and the first two customers signed orders. They are both fairly small scale but I'm going to get my name out in the area and hope that this continues to be positive!